Thursday, April 26, 2012

Looking Glass

When I was ten years old, I used to look at my two older sisters and wish so badly that I could skip forward through time until I was a teenager, with beauty, experience, and what I thought to be a fresh look on the world. I could play games but look physically like the heroines that I looked up to (my sisters, yes, being three of those role models). I used to hate my young and naive face, my frizzy long hair, my inability to wear make-up. I wanted to grow up. And now... two days from my nineteenth birthday, I find myself staring into the past through space when I should be writing a college research paper... I realize something very important and very heartbreaking all at once...

I so badly want to be kid again.

And surprisingly it's not for the obvious reasons, though those do play a part. Responsibility crushes me, deadlines throw their ruthless surprises toward this queen of procrastination, and I fight the battle of a near-adult on a daily basis. But I think what really hits me is the details just inside of all this. Details. I never noticed them as a little blond imp running around with braids flying behind me and imagination wild but inexperienced. I literally lived life day by day. Step by step was my balance, and weekends were those times with swimming and movie and dinner in the living room. That's all. Simple. Perfect. Back when the house was loud and small but big and sunny.

And now, things are... so different. I live life by tasks. I have to complete this paper by this date, I have to get to the bank before too long, I have to get a job so I can prepare for the future. What a foreign word that used to be and still is, but now so much scarier. The house is emptier and quiet, happy but-- big. Oh, so big. And it really just hit me tonight as I sit here scared for what the future brings... God forgive me, I never thought.

I never thought that one day my three best friends who were as tiny and dreamy as I was would be in college or headed there, spacing off in their own directions, pursuing what they love. I never thought that my oldest brother who was posing with his prom dates in the living room or cuddling with me would one day be a happily married lawyer with three children. I never thought my second brother would go away from me at all, that the games would end and he would be getting married soon. I never thought of my Addie as an Army wife and mother. Never thought of Emily as a wife with child and facing things that grown-ups face... I never thought Laura, my comrade and partner in crime, would grow up at all. And me? well, I just never thought.

But most importantly I missed all those details. Those little things like sitting at a table over school books but laughing with my sisters. Mom eating breakfast at a marble table in a Army post house. Dad coming home and letting us excitedly take of his Army boots. My brothers entertaining the family from the back seat of a large van. Holidays, weekends, arguments, family reunions with Aunts, Uncles, cousins, a loving Grandfather.... Sibling rivalry that lasted days but ended with laughter like nothing had ever been wrong. And that just skims the surface. Every little thing that lies inside my mind and heart but is shared with seven others, other memories recalled with laughter that I'm still able to meditate on with those involved because I can never relive them.

But I realize one more thing. I never valued time when I was younger, and whereas I regret it... I don't believe I value it nearly as much still today. I find myself just wishing it would return. Back to where all I had to care about was if I kissed every family member good night before bed. Back before I had to make those grown-up decisions that frustrate me. Not to trade the years I've spent growing up, because I've met such wonderful people that I just find them impossible blessings God has bestowed on me. But to pause time, look around and have just a moment to meditate before life whisks another change my way. I am about to embark on something so big in my life, but all I want to do is climb up into a familiar wooden chair and listen to my family yelling and laughing and living together.

And beyond my childhood, in just the six or so years I've lived in this little-big town called Temple, Texas. So many people have touched me in so many ways. Family friends turned into deeper relationships that I still value. A bond linking across a wide ocean that feels more like one room. People who I worked with, talked with, laughed with and might never see again. People I've learned from, prayed for, cried over. It's all part of this big, heartbreaking, wonderful thing called growing up. You can't stop it. Just cherish it. Every single little moment, even the ones that are painful or annoying. Because every little moment, I've realized, is a gift. I hear it all the time, but I never listened. Until now.

So in two days, when I embark on the final year of my teenage life, one thing will especially weigh on my mind as I take the leap. Life and ALL of those people in it are meant to be cherished, thanked, valued, learned from, and loved. So, I raise my glass to the future, but also to the past that prepared me to face it...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry ... How I wish us all to be in the same place again. :) Cherish, treasure. Words we must live by as you said. We must help each other get to heaven so we can "rough-house" and laugh as we used to. And if we break something up there, Drew can glue it together again real nice. I love you dearly, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, that was beautiful. But I don't appreciate the tears you bestowed upon me. I have been thinking about this a lot lately too. All we can do is cherish the past and all it's wonderful, fantastic memories, and focus on the present and all it's amazing gifts. I'm always here for you! You're an amazing writer. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, Kathleen. Wonderful writing, but it definitely tugged at my heart in a big way. I am honored by your high and undeserved compliments. I know--sometimes I think I am too little to be a mom and Army wife and think the same of the siblings, too. Then, I realized...we have grown. But only physically. Because this weekend, I was bounding across the wooden floor of a hotel after Elizabeth, neighing like a horse. Age can do what it wants, physically. I choose to remain a child inside. :) I love you soo much and am sooo proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are quite the writer, my daughter.

    As I read your thoughts, I was reminded of the words of the character, Emily, from the play, Our Town:


    Notes: Emily has just died in childbirth and has been given the chance to go back home to a time she wishes to see. Looking at her mother and father whom she will never see again, she realizes that it was a mistake to have gone back.

    (softly, more in wonder than in grief)
    I can't bear it. They're so young and beautiful. Why did they ever have to get old? Mama, I'm here. I'm grown up. I love you all, everything. - I cant look at everything hard enough. (pause, talking to her mother who does not hear her. She speaks with mounting urgency) Oh, Mama, just look at me one minute as though you really saw me. Mama, fourteen years have gone by. I'm dead. You're a grandmother, Mama. I married George Gibbs, Mama. Wally's dead, too. Mama, his appendix burst on a camping trip to North Conway. We felt just terrible about it - don't you remember? But, just for a moment now we're all together. Mama, just for a moment we're happy. Let's look at one another. (pause, looking desperate because she has received no answer. She speaks in a loud voice, forcing herself to not look at her mother) I can't. I can't go on. It goes so fast. We don't have time to look at one another. (she breaks down sobbing, she looks around) I didn't realize. All that was going on in life and we never noticed. Take me back - up the hill - to my grave. But first: Wait! One more look. Good-by, Good-by, world. Good-by, Grover's Corners? Mama and Papa. Good-bye to clocks ticking? and Mama's sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new-ironed dresses and hot baths? and sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you. (she asks abruptly through her tears) Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute? (she sighs) I'm ready to go back. I should have listened to you. That's all human beings are! Just blind people.

    ReplyDelete