Sunday, August 19, 2012

The End of An Era

It's strange that one moment you go some place where you used to draw peace and excitement and a means to escape, and in that one small second, you realize that hallowed place no longer holds any meaning to you except the negative kind.

And this place doesn't even have to be a physical place. It can be a certain time of day at which you do a certain thing. It can be a state of mind you find yourself in when you stare too long at a wall. It can be a place on your laptop screen that you spend too much time exploring as if you actually live there. For me, it's the final example.

An online writing community. A place where fellow writers gather on the face of the internet, circle themselves around a certain plot, which one or more characters and them all interact and go about their fictional lives. I loved it. I admired some of the characters, was able to get along and laugh with the writers behind these made-up people, and was easily able to look past the ones who believed themselves better than all, when in fact they were just along the same lines. And then it all changed one bright morning. I can't even remember when exactly I signed into this community and was unable to locate that same feeling of excitement I used to draw just by catching up on everything that was happening. Perhaps it was the moment my naive eyes unknowingly locked on an actual R-rated scene before I released a shocked cry and wildly scrolled away from the words.

Writing. Using words to paint a vivid picture for the avid reader to look on later and feel that sense of excitement that the writer felt when initially painting. To form the emotion of anger, happiness, sadness, suspense, and any other feeling that can be drawn from such mysterious and wonderful things as words. And after reading that scene between two writers, with such detailed foulness, it tainted my definition of writing for a long while. I sat there before the books I had abandoned for the sake of this writing community. I frowned and scowled every time I returned to the community in order to keep my own characters active. And finally, almost all my writing muse was dried up, because each time I entered that community like a fool returning for more punishment, the writings, the conversations, the pictures would just get worse and worse. And me, the naive little girl, believed I could ignore it. After all, the world is like that, right? It has to be ignored, you can't make it go away. False. You can choose to space yourself from all that! And it took me far too long to realize it.

It pains me to leave that community. I built up three very deeply thought characters which I will have to abandon. I have made friendships that are bound not to be as strong as they would be if I didn't have to go. But I have priorities, even if they took a while to sort themselves out. My faith, my innocence, my absolute LOVE for writing-- all of these are being put on the line while I am a part of of this community with low morals. I never took part in any of what the other writers did, but it was painful enough, sickening enough, sinful enough to pass through and hold my nose while I scrolled on acting like nothing in the world was wrong. But it was. And it still is. And now comes the hard part. Telling the friends I am leaving. Silently putting to rest three characters I felt a connection to. And starting afresh somewhere else. Like in the pages of the book I have put on hold writing, in order to keep active on the constantly demanding community I used to draw excitement from until it almost controlled my life. It's all over. And now, I can finally start writing for myself. And for those readers who believe words are an art form, and respect them as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. It's hard when stuff like this happens. :( But, your characters don't have to die. Use them in a book--don't waste them. This is what sets you apart from the other, mediocre "writers"--that you see the beauty in the art, the elevation it can provide. I love you.

    ReplyDelete